Bihar: 8-year old girl tortured to death for plucking mangoes from orchard in Araria district


Bihar: In a bizarre crime, an eight-year-old girl was tortured and killed for plucking mangoes from an orchard in Bihar’s Araria district, a adjoining location near Nepal border. The girl’s body had cut marks and she was also subjected to electric shock, reported Hindustan Times.

Basmatiya police station in Bihar’s Araria district where the case has been lodged.(HT photo)

An eight-year-old girl was allegedly tortured to death after she strayed into a private orchard owned by Sanjay Mehta to collect mangoes at a village bordering Nepal in Bihar’s Araria district on Sunday.


The incident took place at Teentikri village under Basmatiya police outpost along the Indo-Nepal border, 300 kms north-east of Patna.

Amerun Khatun had gone for shopping with her father, Ibrahim Safi, on the eve of Eid. While returning, she insisted on collecting some mangoes from an orchard, which was on way. Safi, however turned down her request, only to realise sometime later that Khatun had given him the slip in the milling crowd.

Safi thought his daughter will return home which was close and continued with his homeward journey. “It was only when she did not return till late Sunday evening that I got panicky. Later, villagers informed me that my daughter was lying in a pool of blood near a well, adjoining the orchard,” Safi said.

I found my daughter murdered brutally. There were several cut marks on her body and she was subjected to electric shock as well, to give an impression that she had been accidentally electrocuted,” he added.

Safi accused the owner of the mango orchard, Sanjay Mehta, and his henchmen to have killed his daughter, he claimed that blood stains were found in the mango orchard.


Station house officer (SHO) of Basmatiya police station Sadanand Sah confirmed the injury marks on the victim’s body . He said “Only after we get the postmortem report can we ascertain the exact cause of death,”.

The SHO said the girl’s father had lodged a complaint against the orchard owner and his aide Vinod Mehta, who were absconding. He suspected that they had crossed over to Nepal.

Araria superintendent of police Sudhir Porika said, “We are trying to arrest the accused. We will definitely take action against the perpetrators of the crime.

Sources Hindustan Times



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here