“Many of our initiatives are being repackaged and are being aggressively marketed as something new,” claimed Former Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh.
New Delhi: “I want to sincerely congratulate Modi and BJP, as no one could have done repackaging and relaunching of old schemes as good as them. However, it does not suit a Prime Minister to repackage old schemes in such a shameless manner and then take credit for it” Congress leader Abhishek Manu Singhvi claimed earlier.
Mr Singhvi accused the Narendra Modi-led NDA was only good at “repackaging” old schemes which were originally started during the UPA regime.
Even former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh accused Modi-led government of repacking UPA’s schemes and presenting them as something new, “Many of our initiatives are being repackaged and are being aggressively marketed as something new,” however Mr Singh said PM Modi is better salesman than him, “I have to acknowledge that my successor has been a more adept salesman, event manager and communicator than me.”
Below are the following schemes which Congress alleges were renamed, restructured and re-launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi led BJP.
1 .Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (Mission): Swacch Bharat Abhiyan which gained enormous praise for Narendra Modi as a clean India initiative was first launched in 1986 as Central Rural Sanitation Programme (CRSP) primarily with the objective of clean and hygienic India, improving the quality of life of the rural people and also to provide privacy and dignity to women by building toilets. Subsequently it was renamed as Total Sanitation Campaign (TSC) and later Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan in 2013.
2. Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao Yojana: BJP’s Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao Yojana, a campaign to protect female child and educate them was first launched in 2009 as National Girl Child Day by UPA government, January 24th was declared as the National Girl Child Day.
3. Digital India: Digital India programme claimed as a vision to transform India into a digitally empowered society and knowledge economy by BJP government was first launched as National e-Governance Plan in 2006 by UPA government.
4. Make in India: Make in India mission is one of the major campaigns by BJP government to manufacture every product in India for growth in GDP, Economy and Employment, but was first launched in 2011 by UPA government as National Manufacturing Policy.
5. Skill India: Skill India campaign which is claimed to be launched by Narendra Modi was first launched in 2010 as National Skill Development Program under UPA government. BJP’s Skill India turned into a major flop for BJP after 3 BJP-ruled states reported to have more than 40% ghost trainees in Skill Centers after which the government decided to cancel further enrollment.
6. Jan Dhan Yojna: Jan Dhan Yojna (People Money Scheme) which is claimed to be started by BJP government was first launched in 2005 as Basic Savings Bank Deposit Account.
7. Mission Indradhanush: Mission Indradhanush, a campaign to immunize every child was first launched in 1985 as Universal Immunization Programme by Rajiv Gandhi led Congress government.
8. Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana: BJP’s Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana which claims to provide insurance coverage and financial support to the farmers in the event of failure of any of the notified crop as a result of natural calamities, pests & diseases was first launched in 1985 as Comprehensive Crop Insurance Scheme but later scraped in 1997 and subsequently re-launched as Experimental Crop Insurance and then Farm Income Insurance Scheme in 2004
9. Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awaas Yojana: BJP’s Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awaas Yojana campaign which’s aim is to provide housing for the rural poor was first launched in 1985 Indira Awaas Yojana by Rajiv Gandhi led Congress government.
10. AMRUT: BJP’s Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) project to establish infrastructure for sewage networks and water supply for urban transformation was first launched in 2005 by UPA government as Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM).
11. Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana: BJP’s Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY) a scheme claim to provide continuous power supply to rural India was first launched in 2005 by UPA government as Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana.
12. Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana: BJP’s Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana a skill management scheme was first launched in 1999 as Swarnajayanti Grameen Swarojgar Yojana (SGSY) and later restructured as National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM) in 2005.
13. Sagarmala Programme: BJP’s Sagarmala Programme was first launched in 2005 as National Maritime Development Programme by UPA government.
14. Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana: BJP’s Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana was first launch in 2007 as Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana by UPA government.
15. Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana: BJP’s Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana was first launched in 2007 as Accelerated Irrigation Benefits Program by UPA government.
16. Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana: BJP’s Pradham Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana which aims to promote generic medicines was first launch in 2008 as Jan Aushadhi Scheme by UPA government.
17. Soil Health Management (SHM): BJP’s Soil Health Management(SHM) was first launched in 2008 as National Project on Management of Soil Health and Fertility by UPA government.
18. Sardar Patel National Mission for Urban Housing: BJP’s Sardar Patel National Mission for Urban Housing was first launched in 2009 as Rajiv Awas Yojana (RAY) by UPA government.
19. Atal Pension Yojana: BJP’s Atal Pension Yojana was first launched in 2010 as Swavalamban Yojana Scheme by UPA government.
20. Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana (PMMVY): BJP’s Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) was launched in 2010 as Indira Gandhi Matritva Sahyog Yojana (IGMSY) by UPA government. It was renamed as Matritva Sahyog Yojana in 2014.
22. PAHAL: BJP’s PAHAL (Pratyaksh Hanstantrit Labh) was first launched in 2013 as Direct Benefit Transfer for LPG by UPA government.
with PTI inputs and Ravi Nair