Jammu and Kashmir : J & K government has cleared a case of compensation for Burhan Wani’s elder brother Khalid Wani who was killed by army on April 13, 2015, reports The Quint.
Khalid Wani (25 years old) was pursuing Masters degree in Political Science from the Indira Gandhi National Open University when he was killed by Indian Army in an alleged encounter.
According to a notification issued yesterday by Deputy Commissioner Pulwama, ex-gratia relief under rules has been cleared by the District Level Screening-cum-Consultative Committee (DLSCC) in favour of next of kin of those persons who died in militancy-related incidents.
Among the 17 names in the list of persons killed in militancy-related incidents is Wani’s brother, Khalid Muzaffar Wani, who died in firing by security forces in Buchoo forest area of Tral on April 13 last year.
The DLSCC meeting took place under the chairmanship of the Deputy Commissioner, Pulwama, Muneer-ul-Islam, on November 24. The deputy commissioner has sought objections, if any, to the notice within seven days before the formal orders are issued.
Under the rules, an ex-gratia of Rs four lakh is sanctioned in such cases.
“These raids were not sanctioned in the first place. It is unjustified. Nobody can support it and it will not be tolerated,” the then Northern Army Commander Lt Gen DS Hooda had said.
“Twenty months later, the government’s announcement of relief for Khalid’s family settles the controversy surrounding his death, and appears to invalidate the army’s claims. The vital condition for granting compensation is that the dead person should not be a militant,” reported Scroll.in.
The alleged ‘Encounter’ of Khalid Wani
Khalid’s father Muzaffar Wani, a school principal at the Government Higher Secondary School of Lorigam told Scroll.in that he was not aware that the government had announced ex-gratia relief for his son. “I have not seen the notification,” he said.
Muzaffar Wani added that he had not applied for the relief. “Two months after Khalid’s death, I was called to Awantipora police station,” he said. “The police wanted to exhume my son’s body to conduct an autopsy. I refused because they [the police] did not carry it out when he was killed.”
All he did was present a statement about his son’s killing to the investigating officer. In the statement, he reiterated that Khalid was a civilian and not an overground worker of a militant outfit.
“My son was innocent. He would not leave home for night outs,” he said. “Not a single case had been registered against him.” as reported to Scroll.in.